Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Banana Nut Bread

I truly can't even tell you guys for sure, when I came to enjoy Banana Nut Bread. I remember having banana nut bread as a child.............  but I think (I know for sure) I found this recipe in the Concord Presbyterian Church cookbook.  I believe the recipe was submitted by Patty Panek..............  I added the nuts.

1/3 cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs well beaten
1 3/4 cups Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (2 to 3 mashed over ripe bananas)
1/2 or so cups coarsely chopped nuts
Cinnamon

With a mixer, beat the shortening, sugar and vanilla until well mixed.  Add the eggs and beat again. Sift the dry ingredients together and add to the wet mixture.  Add the over ripe bananas and beat again.  Add the chopped nuts and beat one more time. 

Grease and flour 3 miniature loaf pans. Place 1/3 of mixture into each loaf pan.  Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon onto each loaf. 

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 1/2 hour  (check with a tooth pick)  Cool slightly and then turn onto a kitchen towel!  We
always use one immediately and I freeze the other 2 in zip lock bags for up to a month or so!     

Note:  If you happen to have over ripe bananas, you can use them and make banana nut bread.  Or, I found out from Lenore Larson-Dwyer that you can peel them and freeze them.  You can defrost and use them any time that you like.  It works perfectly!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment